Thursday, November 5, 2009

Damir Doma Interview






As part of a larger project we’ve been working on with The New Order magazine, oki-ni's Creative Director John Skelton caught up with Damir Doma in New York to talk through the label’s development, projects for the coming season and the launch of a new SILENT collection ...

'The reason we did this interview with Damir is for exactly the same reason that we do everything that we do, because we were extremely interested. For a few seasons now I’ve been blown away by his approach, execution and maturity for such a young designer. I also like the fact that he’s so natural and that he doesn’t roll around with a huge ego.

After spending a little bit of time with him on a few different occasions I realised exactly what the draw was for us. It’s because he’s a real person, down to earth and completely open to anything, but at the same time has such a strong sense of his own direction which is exactly how we try to portray ourselves as a brand. Basically, he’s a dude and he’s going to change the world.'
John Skelton, Creative Director, oki-ni

The full conversation between John and Damir will be featured in the 4th issue of The New Order magazine alongside a showcase of archive pieces from his first collection in 2007 to a preview of our buy for SS10.




excerpt from the interview

John:

Do you see your upcoming women’s line for Damir Doma mainline as an extension of what you’ve already got going on?

Damir:

For me it’s just one big thing, one big collection.

j:

I thought so, I’m glad you see it like that.

d:

There are certain products that we have for women and we don’t have for men and the other way around obviously but it’s really kind of one big thing.

j:

It’s going to be amazing I’m sure.

d:

I’m also going to do the buying of the materials in one go, it’s the only way that it kind of works with my process. I kind of want to control everything and to do it myself so I couldn’t split it up and do the men’s and then the women’s as a parallel, it wouldn’t work for me.

j:

I find that so exciting. I’ve got a real thing about a ‘unisex everything’. I hate boundaries or lines being drawn around anything, everything should just ‘be’.

d:

Me too. Men sometimes have problems with my collection it’s taken about two years to get to the point where everyone kind of gets used to it because in the beginning it was a bit disturbing for some people.

j:

Yeah, I think that is something that will get easier for people once more people start to break things down like that. I know within our store I get really excited when women come and buy product because our look isn’t a men’s look, it’s just ‘a look’, I love a girl in it as much as I love a boy in it and I’m not bothered who’s coming to take the product.

d:

That’s how I see it myself. When I start the season I don’t have a particular man in mind, it’s just a body.

More information on the magazine and stockist details can be found on The New Order website
www.tno-mag.com

No comments: